IGNITE Genomic Demonstration Projects (IGNITE GDP) began as a NIH-funded network dedicated to supporting the implementation of genomics in healthcare. The network was originally comprised of six research sites, a coordinating center, a steering committee, and working and interest groups. As the network has evolved, an updated structure has been implemented. Learn more about the current IGNITE Network.
Starting in 2013, NIH selected six genomic medicine research sites for 4 years of funding. These research sites were tasked with finding ways to incorporate genomic information into electronic medical records and develop clinical decision support for providers across diverse healthcare settings.
To that end, the IGNITE Network also disseminates the methods and best practices its members develop in order to advance the implementation of genomics in healthcare. One outlet for public distribution is the SPARK Toolbox, which provides genomic medicine resources for clinicians and researchers.
Original Research Sites and Principal Investigators
- Implementation, Adoption, and Utility of Family History in Diverse Care Settings
Principal Investigators: Geoffrey Ginsburg, MD PhD, and Lori A. Orlando, MD MHS, Duke University School of Medicine
- Genomic Medicine Implementation: The Personalized Medicine Program
Principal Investigator: Julie Johnson, PharmD, University of Florida College of Pharmacy
- Genetic testing to Understand and Address Renal Disease Disparities: The GUARDD Study
Principal Investigators: Erwin Bottinger, MD and Carol Horowitz, MD MPH, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Integrated, Individualized, Intelligent Prescribing (I³P)
Principal Investigators: Joshua Denny, MS, MD, and Mia Levy, MD, PhD, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- INdiana GENomics Implementation: an Opportunity for the UnderServed
Principal Investigators: Paul Dexter, MD, and Todd Skaar, PhD, Indiana University School of Medicine
- Genomic Diagnosis and Individualized Therapy for Highly Penetrant Genetic Diabetes
Principal Investigators: Toni I. Pollin, MS, PhD and Alan R. Shuldiner, MD, University of Maryland School of Medicine.
- Coordinating Center
Principal Investigator: Geoffrey Ginsburg, MD, PhD, Duke University School of Medicine
- Teri Manolio, MD, PhD, Director, Division of Genomic Medicine, NHGRI
- Ebony Madden, PhD, Program Director, NHGRI
- Heather Junkins, MS, Program Director, NHGRI
- Kelly Filipski, PhD, Program Director, NCI
- Colette Fletcher-Hoppe, Senior Program Analyst, NHGRI